“Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils.
And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.”
Luke 23 : 56
So numerous were the events of the Friday of the Crucifixion –
that space for yesterdays reading did not permit-
all that happened on that day.
1. The suns full rays were illuminating the earth at midday-
then suddenly complete darkness covered the cross and around the vicinity. Luke 23:45
The darkness lasted for three hours-
when God turned His face from the ‘sin-bearer’.
Suddenly the darkness lifts- And Jesus cried-
“It is Finished – Father into your hands I commend my spirit.” Luke 23:46
2. At that moment , there were priests ministering in the Temple
before the veil that separated the holy from the most holy places.
Suddenly the earth trembled and the veil was torn from top to bottom.
The earth quake caused a special resurrection to take place.
3. Joseph of Arimathea – went to Pilate and requested the body of Jesus;
He was going to use his own tomb for Jesus’ burial.
Nicodemus, another disciple, came with a costly mixture of myrrh and aloes.
Along with John the beloved disciple they removed
the broken and pierced body of Jesus from the cross.
They carefully cleaned and bathed His bruised body;
wrapping Him and the spices in a linen sheet.
Then they laid Him in a new sepulcher, where no man had laid before.
4. The women who had followed Jesus went home to prepare for the Sabbath day.
– “they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandments”.
5. Then the heavy stone was rolled in front of the tomb and Roman Guards stood in front of it.
6. At creation God blessed the Seventh day – he called it a ‘day of rest’
– and now even in His death- Jesus spent it resting in the grave-awaiting His resurrection.
Jesus told the disciples and the Jews that He will rise again on the 3rd day.
Even though the disciples forgot- The Jews remembered and they went to
Pilate and demanded a seal be put across the tomb.
The action of the women certainly did not imply –
the Sabbath was more important than Jesus-
Only that Christ Himself had blessed that day and made it holy-
They were showing their respect to the lawgiver.
While the followers of Christ were quietly resting on the Sabbath day-
the priests and Pharisees demanded that Pilate made the tomb secure-
sealing the tomb and setting a guard.
What a climax to this Easter week –
The Son of man – asleep on the Sabbath-
awaiting the call of His Father.
Thank you Jesus for the suffering and shame you went through for me and mankind.
Follow me on – https://pintrest.com/opalmassey